In light of Lady Gaga’s recent high-profile cover of it, along with the music video’s director David Fincher being Oscar-nominated, we figured it was time to revisit Madonna’s “Express Yourself,” which features—you guessed it!—lots of kitties. And half-naked men. The best of all worlds, really. So! Sit back, listen to Madonna expressing herself, and read over some vintage links…
- If you’re like me, you love reading about retro sex ed videos. Now’s your chance, thanks to a long, dense conversation about them recently conducted by Farran Smith Nehme and Vadim Rizov, two ultra-perceptive film folks!
- The Australian has a fascinating interview with filmmaker and special effects expert Douglas Trumbull (of 2001 and Close Encounters of the Third Kind fame) that goes over his career and influence. I especially liked this part:
Projection in 3-D, he believes, should be reserved for “alternate reality”. “It’s great for a movie like Alice in Wonderland, but maybe not for a love story, or even The Great Gatsby.”
- Notcoming.com has this long, excellent essay on one of the greatest screenwriting teams in Hollywood history, Charles Brackett and Billy Wilder.
- I think that Republican lawmakers across American have a secret bet going on to see who can devise the most ridiculous plan to attack reproductive rights. Right now, Georgia State Representative Bobby Franklin is making a pretty good go of it, with his off-the wall, nonsensical plan to investigate miscarriages. I didn’t make this up.
- The amazing Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency has this fantastic video, “Women’s Stories, Movies and the Oscars.” She’s done her research and has a great graphic design sensibility. Give it a watch!
- Finally, AfterEllen has a list of the “25 Greatest Working Film Directors (Who Also Happen to be Female),” as a retort to EW‘s inadequate-in-every-respect list. Yay gender equity!
As far as search terms go, we had a few wacky, outlandish, and gross ones like “bread in a vagina” (speaking of yeast infections…) and “syringe douche anal mistress.” The search “fucking happily movies” could, I think, have a few different meanings: movies with happy fucking in them? Good movies to watch while fucking happily? Did they mistype “fucking happy movies”? Lastly, we had another search term in Arab, “سكس كرتون كايوتك,” which Google Translate renders as “Sex Cartoon Cayotk.” I still don’t know what that means.