This week’s kitty is being played with by some Thai kids in Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s debut feature Mysterious Object at Noon. It’s totally unrelated to the substance of the film, but who cares? It’s a kitty! And as usual, it’s followed by a series of really great links:
- This piece by Sheila O’Malley on Mia Wasikowska’s performance in Jane Eyre is the kind of writing I want to produce. The kind of brilliant, detailed, precise film writing I strive for and emulate. Worth reading even if you’ve never seen Jane Eyre.
- Andreas has a new piece up 366 Weird Movies, this one discussing Carlos Atanes’s sci-fi movie PROXIMA.
- It looks like late August’s big movie blogosphere debate has been sparked by Matthias Stork’s fascinating video essay “Chaos Cinema: The Decline and Fall of Action Filmmaking.” Retorts and nods of assent have been coming fast and furious. A few examples:
- Ian Grey’s “Grey Matters: The Art of Chaos Cinema.”
- Scott Nye’s “Chaos Cinema, Action Painting, and Sforzandos.”
- Steven Boone’s “Blind Fury: Notes on Chaos Cinema.”
- Jim Emerson’s “Agents of Chaos.”
- This “Triple Female Trouble” piece from Dark Eye Socket may be a year and a half old, but it’s still a very entertaining read, and focuses partially on Martyrs, a perennial favorite ’round these parts.
- If you haven’t yet, definitely watch the trailer for Lucky McKee’s new movie The Woman (which, you may remember, caused a stir at Sundance). Looks incredible.
- Kim Newman is, as usual, a total badass. He told off a commenter who trotted out the old “What did you expect?”
- Michael Pattison suggests less fetishization of the director.
- Is Greek cinema having a Weird Wave?
- The depressing history of the Anoka-Hennepin school district’s battle over LGBT issues.
- Porn parody posters vs. their mainstream counterparts!
We had a few epically odd search terms this past week, like the bizarrely misspelled and redundant “inside veiw of a pragnant womans pussy insides.” And “كرتون كايوتك سكس,” which is apparently Arabic for “Cartoon Sex Cayotk,” whatever that means. Unfortunately, I have to close with the most uncomfortable search term of the week, and possibly all time: “the joys of fucking your daughter.” Yeah.