This week’s kitty comes from the mental illness drama Girl, Interrupted. Its owner hangs herself, but HEY kitty! It’s also my birthday, so it’s especially cool that I get to spend it thinking about kitties, movies, and some great links…
- Must-play: the absurdist, existential video games of Pippin Barr.
- Jim Emerson presents “Tinker Tailor Critic Eye,” an index of great writing on Tinker Tailor.
- Feminist Frequency’s Anita Sarkeesian on “The 2012 Oscars and the Bechdel Test.”
- Re: climate change, “What is more likely?”
- “ABCinema”: 26 alphabetical film riddles in one minute.
- Shocker: the L.A. Times reveals that the Academy is predominately white and male.
- When the Oscar nominations were announced, a lot of folks online seemed baffled or nonplussed by the inclusion of Melissa McCarthy from Bridesmaidsin the Best Supporting Actress category. To allay that confusion, I offer two great pieces about her performance:
- A montage of Star Trek: TNG’s Worf being told “No.”
- “Phew! I Solved Racism: Kids Adorably Reenact the Oscar-Nominated Films.” (And here’s Part 2. So cute!)
Finally, we have a pair of amusing search terms: “most tasteless house warming present,” which would be what, a swastika doormat? And “is disney making a movie about lesbian princesses,” the answer to which is pretty obvious. (It’s “no.” What, do you think we’re living in the 21st century or something?)