Kitties are generally cute—but since this kitty is from Adam Elliot’s Mary and Max, it’s cute in a depressing, oddball way. While I’m mentioning it, kudos to Elliot for making a black-and-white animated movie! That takes chutzpah. Especially when that movie is tragic and bizarre. And now I give you: links.
- Midnight Eye extensively analyzes Japanese cyberpunk cinema, including the horror classic Tetsuo: The Iron Man.
- AV Club’s Genevieve Koski articulates my exact feelings on all the ridiculous expectations for Bridesmaids to “save chick flicks” and asks why we can’t just let it exist as a good comedy. (She also links to this very useful website on the Bechdel test.)
- I feel like we as a planet should be a little concerned about this Cannes Abuse Checklist. When four out of your twelve festival movies feature rape as a plot point, there’s gotta be something wrong.
- Just in time for summer, a snarky and awesomely body-positive article about “beach bodies”, including tips on how to lower “swimsuit anxiety” (spoiler: stop thinking your body is ugly/bad/too fat/etc).
- Finally, The Guardian has an interview with acting goddess Charlotte Rampling. It’s full of great nuggets about Rampling’s experiences and professional choices.
Not too many amusing search terms lately, but I did like “ζωο σεξ,” which is Greek for “animal sex.” I didn’t like “i got robbed and fuckin raped hard and i enjoyed it” because, um, NO. Somewhere between the two was “lesbiansim curiostiy killed the cat,” which combines non sequiturs and misspellings. Finally, I really like this pair of phrases, searched for simultaneously: “of course i do” “it was fucking awesome.” Of course I do! It was fucking awesome.