Over the past week or two, we’ve been caught in a flurry of graduation ceremonies, cross-country bus rides, and poor Internet connections. But here, at long last, is a collection of old links, plus Lance Henriksen’s happy family brandishing its kitty at the end of The Horror Show (1989). Just a warning: it’s going to be a tough summer here at Pussy Goes Grrr, and in order to survive, we might need your help. If you’re at all interested in writing a guest post or two, or even a summer-long guest series, please email email@example.com. We love new voices! And now: links.
- Film critic Kent Jones advocates moving “beyond the romance of cinema.”
- Austin’s Alamo Drafthouse Cinema just gets more and more awesome: just check out their anti-texting PSA.
- Amanda Marcotte of RH Reality Check has mixed two of our loves (horror movies and reproductive rights) with her funny, disturbing piece “More Anti-Feminist Horror Film Ideas.” [Trigger warning for sexual violence.]
- If you (like me) are a movies-and-statistics nerd, you’ll love Slate‘s Rotten Tomatoes-based “Hollywood Career-o-Matic.” Plug in a name! Any name! Of an actor or director who’s worked since 1985!
- I’ve been greatly enjoying the ongoing debate about “cultural vegetables,” from Dan Kois’s whiny “Eating Your Cultural Vegetables” in the NYT to Manohla Dargis and A.O. Scott’s rebuttal “In Defense of Slow and Boring” (which also engaged Richard Schickel’s The Tree of Life review). Now Zachary Wigon of Filmmaker Magazine has added his two cents with the insightful “Fuller: On Great, Boring Movies and Cultural Vegetables,” while Glenn Kenny goes after Kois’s characterization of Solaris in “Misapprehending Tarkovsky.”
- What could be better than Hayao Miyazaki’s animated masterpieces? How about them… in lego form.
- Women and Hollywood’s Melissa Silverstein brilliantly attacks the nipple-baring new poster for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo; meanwhile at FanGirlTastic, Heidi Martinuzzi offers more learned commentary.
Here’s a few quickly culled search terms from the past few days: “disney princess doing silly faces” (because, you know, why not?) which is inevitably accompanied by “eating pussy in restaurant”; the semantically ambiguous “i want women pussy”; and finally, that old favorite “erotic decapitation.” Yeahhh.