It’s been a slow, hot, lazy summer, but the Link Dump is finally back! We’ve got a kitty, plucked from the clothing of Margo Prey, Troll 2 star and Best Worst Movie interview subject. We’ve also got a host of links from the past few weeks:
- In case you missed it, Day Of The Woman hosted a totally awesome P.J. Soles Blogathon. (And Ashley contributed!)
- Everyone loves 1950s sci-fi movies… and their oft-ridiculous titles. You can generate your own at the “B-Movie Title Generator.”
- Dalia Schweitzer writes in Jump Cut about Cindy Sherman’s Office Killer (1997), which is very high on my “movies I want to see” list.
- Over at YAM Magazine, Cinema Fanatic provides a primer on Pre-Code Hollywood, featuring a few obscure delights (like Safe in Hell) amongst the essentials.
- Along the same lines, The Bioscope discusses Bryony Dixon’s new book 100 Silent Films, which goes into countless silent classics I’d never heard of.
- As someone who’s devoted a lot of time to studying women in horror, I heartily second Ashlee from Buried in a Book Crypt with her list of feminist books about scary movies. (Sarah from hold onto yr genre provides a few more.)
- The A.V. Club’s Genevieve Koski goes after sexism in pop culture, specifically the mockery of women who hold onto adolescent passions.
- Scans of horror-related pictures and newspaper clippings? Fuck yes.
- Lol: diagrammatic representations of famous movie quotes.
- These barely moving gifs are sometimes creepy, sometimes beautiful, always cool.
Either the weird search terms have been dropping off lately, or my sense of “weirdness” has become warped since starting this blog. A few choice, recent items: “vagina convulsing good?”, “witch transforms man into goat,” and possibly my favorite (least favorite?), “hunter mccracken masturbation.” Keep in mind that Hunter McCracken is the preadolescent star of Terence Malick’s The Tree of Life, and have a good weekend.