You know what’s an underrated animated/horror movie? Henry Selick’s Coraline. And you know who voiced a kitty in Coraline? Keith David, Childs from The Thing and Roddy Piper’s co-star in They Live and an all-around bad-ass. You are awesome, Keith David. In other news, you may have noticed a mighty hush lately across Pussy Goes Grrr. Long story short, we’re currently resting and preparing—sorting out writing projects and real-world obligations as our big end-of-year sprint across the finish line approaches.
December is going to be mind-blowing. In order for that to happen, though, November has to be kinda “meh.” You’ll see! It’ll be worth it! In the meantime, here’s a few cool links:
- Michael at Serious Film cites “14 Under-Appreciated Long Takes.” He really knows what he’s talking about, and this piece is a joy to read.
- I’m behind the times on this one, but “Drive: An Illustrated Response” is still a very funny read.
- Over at Criterion, many film luminaries offer praise for Renoir’s masterpiece The Rules of the Game.
- Life is depressing, as proven by this chart about how much we have to do.
- Foreign Movie Posters on Tumblr.
- Jim Emerson on Kael, criticism, and technique in “It Ain’t the Meat (It’s the Motion).” (Emerson has a retort in here about viewing options that made me laugh out loud.)
- Julianne Moore is a work of art.
No good search terms this week, alas. We hope that next week brings a search term bounty, however, as befits Thanksgiving.