This pretty white kitty comes courtesy of Lee Grant, playing the wealthy matriarch in Hal Ashby’s debut The Landlord. It’s a very underrated satire of class warfare and racial tension in the early ’70s. It’s also includes a kitty. Now here are some links!
We had a pretty fantastic assortment of gross/bizarre search terms this week, like the vaginally themed “cunt eat mouse” and “bloddin on pussy.” We had the aggressive “bash your fucking skull,” and the gentler “pornfor a nice man.” My absolute favorite, though, was definitely “tutu fecal.” Seriously. What in the world does that mean? I’ll let you ponder that one.
Filed under Cinema, Feminism
Kitties are generally cute—but since this kitty is from Adam Elliot’s Mary and Max, it’s cute in a depressing, oddball way. While I’m mentioning it, kudos to Elliot for making a black-and-white animated movie! That takes chutzpah. Especially when that movie is tragic and bizarre. And now I give you: links.
Not too many amusing search terms lately, but I did like “ζωο σεξ,” which is Greek for “animal sex.” I didn’t like “i got robbed and fuckin raped hard and i enjoyed it” because, um, NO. Somewhere between the two was “lesbiansim curiostiy killed the cat,” which combines non sequiturs and misspellings. Finally, I really like this pair of phrases, searched for simultaneously: “of course i do” “it was fucking awesome.” Of course I do! It was fucking awesome.
[Note: this article is written under the assumption that those who read it have already seen it. Spoilers.]
On a whim, Andreas and I decided to watch Ruben Fleischer’s Zombieland; we love zombies, we love parody, so it seems logical. After coming to the sobering conclusion that zombies have been so parodied and so ingrained into our pop culture that there’s no way they can be scary again (barring some intense, 28 Days Later-esque film coming out and completely rejuvenating the genre) we hunkered down for what we thought would be a relatively good, funny zombie parody. Overall it delivered on the funny (and the blaahhhh when it wasn’t funny) but it also delivered on a few other things: plot holes, sexism, and gender stereotypes.
Hit the jump to see me unload the snark…
Filed under Cinema, Feminism
What the musical remake of Little Shop of Horrors lacks in kitties (this is the only one, shown for a second during the opening number; of course our immediate reaction to seeing a kitty not related to the plot of the movie is to pause to get a screenshot for the link dumps) it greatly makes up for in blood-thirsty, alien plants and sexy, doo-wop trios. With that said, please enjoy these musical (read: totally not musical at all) links!
- This isn’t for another month and a half, but we’re eagerly participating in the Garbo Laughs Queer Film Blogathon. Stay tuned for more details!
- The text may be in French, but these Art Nouveau posters for sci-fi/fantasy movies (including Star Wars and Alien) are beautiful in any language.
- I’ll link to anything about Pauline Kael, so here’s a fine appreciation of her work from Open Letters Monthly.
- According to Female First, Martin Scorsese was depressed during the filming of Taxi Driver. (And no wonder!)
- This Guardian book review talks about the connections between Houdini and cinema.
- The Self-Styled Siren tackles a scene from George Stevens’ masterpiece (maybe?) Giant involving Rock Hudson and racism.
- According to nerdbastards.com, Netflix is going to make all Marvel animated series available for instant streaming. If this is the case, then I will be very, very happy.
- Don’t deny it: you want to read a long essay about vampires.
- Alex Jackson of Viddied Reviews talks insightfully about intertextuality, film history, and Inception.
- Frieze Magazine has a fascinatingly in-depth interview with the late father of computer music, Max Mathews, discussing his work at Bell Labs with scientists, avant-garde musicians, and Stanley Kubrick.
- Another Tumblr meme and this one is even closer to my heart: Fuck Yeah, Women’s Studies Wolverine.
Alas, we had a drought of truly weird or awful search terms. The only one that really stood out to me was “mom and dad eat the babysitter pussy” because honestly, that’s fucking gross. It’d be odd without “pussy” at the end, but that one word puts it over the edge. Honestly, WTF.
Filed under Cinema, Feminism
What better than a lunar cat family to host this week’s (rather full) Link Dump! I was never personally fond of Diana myself; adding kids to the mix just ruins everything (just like what happened when they added Rini/Chibusa; you’d think they’d learn from their mistakes) but it’s an adorable kitty family to go with some adorable (and some severely not adorable) links!
- This is a very cool Stanley Kubrick animated filmography, with neat images spanning his whole career.
- Jim Emerson writes eloquently about the power and beauty of Uncle Boonmee and the films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul. Must-read.
- Rocky Horror creator Richard O’Brien dishes on the history of the show and film, Glee, and more.
- As part of the super-cool Lance Henriksen Blogathon, Alison of The Pineal Eye reviewed Kathryn Bigelow’s Near Dark. If you like kick-ass vampire movies, well, you should obviously just go read it.
- Bookgasm has “15 Great Books About Bad Movies,” including delights by Mike Nelson and Joe Bob Briggs.
- Bitches’ Guide To Etiquette, a blog that is all snark and defiance, was created in response to the numerous “how to be dainty” and “how to be a lady” blogs that give compelling advice, such as “Chew like you have a secret.” The snark is much needed in the face of such fuckery.
- Fellow Tumblr-er Rosewater Sailor puts the smack-down on would-be survivor silencers with “I’m Not Asking. I’m Demanding.“; if there’s any question in your mind about whether or not survivors should have a voice regardless of how uncomfortable talking about rape makes non-survivors read this right the fuck now.
- Deathfatties: fat + fashion = a shit ton of fabulous, confident chicks showing off their fashion sense.
- What it means when you say something is “so ghetto.” Spoiler: it’s fucking racist.
- In Depressing Rape Culture News, a US judge has said that lesbians should be allowed to serve in the military because men could “convert them”; yeah, bro totally just endorsed corrective rape. WTF.
Not much to share in the realm of search terms this week: we had somebody looking for the “la belle et la bete porn version” (hint: Cocteau didn’t make one, although Genet’s Chant d’Amour is as close as you’re going to get); someone else typed in the run-of-the-mill misspelling “secks fail”; and finally, we continue our chronicle of icky bestiality search terms with “fucking “cow pussy””. Does this mean the searcher wanted to learn about how to fuck cow pussies? Or just, you know, colloquially: fuckin’ cow pussy? We may never know. (I hope.)
So, here we have the final story in Wandering Uterus, which is a condensed chronicle of the summer after Andreas left and my incredibly neurotic pregnancy scare. I would like to expand this story; my fears of pregnancy and issues with reproduction rights could make up their own graphic novel if I let them. I hope that you’ve all enjoyed my first major foray into comics-making. I hope to work more on this over the summer!
Hit the jump to read all about my neurosis….
In light of Lady Gaga’s recent high-profile cover of it, along with the music video’s director David Fincher being Oscar-nominated, we figured it was time to revisit Madonna’s “Express Yourself,” which features—you guessed it!—lots of kitties. And half-naked men. The best of all worlds, really. So! Sit back, listen to Madonna expressing herself, and read over some vintage links…
- If you’re like me, you love reading about retro sex ed videos. Now’s your chance, thanks to a long, dense conversation about them recently conducted by Farran Smith Nehme and Vadim Rizov, two ultra-perceptive film folks!
- The Australian has a fascinating interview with filmmaker and special effects expert Douglas Trumbull (of 2001 and Close Encounters of the Third Kind fame) that goes over his career and influence. I especially liked this part:
Projection in 3-D, he believes, should be reserved for “alternate reality”. “It’s great for a movie like Alice in Wonderland, but maybe not for a love story, or even The Great Gatsby.”
As far as search terms go, we had a few wacky, outlandish, and gross ones like “bread in a vagina” (speaking of yeast infections…) and “syringe douche anal mistress.” The search “fucking happily movies” could, I think, have a few different meanings: movies with happy fucking in them? Good movies to watch while fucking happily? Did they mistype “fucking happy movies”? Lastly, we had another search term in Arab, “سكس كرتون كايوتك,” which Google Translate renders as “Sex Cartoon Cayotk.” I still don’t know what that means.