I found The Man with Two Brains pretty disappointing and unfunny overall, but I did like the kitty in the operating room. So there you go. I also liked Sissy Spacek voicing a disembodied brain… but then again, I’d like Sissy Spacek voicing a disembodied anything.
On an unrelated note, you may have noticed a dearth of material on Pussy Goes Grrr lately. This is not a coincidence. We’ve been secretly preparing for the following kick-ass, action-packed week, to be topped off by a special celebration. Seriously, start reading for real on Monday, because it’ll blow your mind. And now, links:
- This Kickstarter project earns our total support because 1) it’s in Minneapolis and it’s about 2) young women who are 3) making comics. If you can spare them any cash, do it. They just need to raise ~$2,000 in about a month. (H/t to Sarah Becan.)
- Notcoming.com has this short introductory piece by Evan Kindley for their series about Ralph Bakshi, godfather of adult animation.
- Speaking of cinematic godparents, how about Christine Vachon, godmother of independent cinema (especially the New Queer Cinema)?
- PopMatters is all about The Cable Guy and the fascinating dark side of Jim Carrey.
- I found this extensive piece on comedy remakes too soul-sucking to actually read through, but if you really want to know, the information’s there, from Cannonball Run to Spies Like Us. Ugh.
- The Hollywood Reporter has the scoop on what movies are going to Cannes. I can’t wait until they all filter down to arthouse theaters in the midwest!
- Jaime of unexamined/essentials has a long defense of the other Paul Anderson (W.S., that is). I may not be a fan of his work myself, but I salute the spirit of the piece.
- An egg inside an egg?! Now I’ve seen everything.
In search term territory, all we have for you this week is “fuck yes” (because, uh, “fuck yes”!) and “are you dense? i am the goddamn walrus.” I just really like the fact that someone mixed up Batman and John Lennon.